My surgery story, a true adventure.

Ok… so my surgery was really an adventure… and it started off making me wonder why I was doing this again.

So Tuesday, they changed my surgery time, I called the hospital to be sure they knew to change the interpreter time, they said they would… but that somehow didn’t happen. I showed up at the hospital at 11, checked in at 11:30, and there was no interpreter. I was already stressed, already freaking out… and not being able to understand was not helping at all. They didn’t get an interpreter there until almost one, but in the mein time, we were using a white board to communicate. I don’t know how purely Oral deaf adults do surgery, do anything so frightening, so emotional… not being able to understand, it made me feel extremely uncomfortable, and very vulnerable.

the message my pastor wrote

When the interpreter finally showed up, we were able to get things going. they put my IV in, which was nice, because I was VERY thirsty, and with the electrolytes, it made me feel a bit better. The sleep doctor came over and talked to me, and thought it was funny when I told him there was no way shape or form I could be preggo. My doctor came over and talked to me. then they put something in my IV, I told my family I loved them, and I went to the OR.

All I remember about the OR is people in masks, and not being able to understand them (because of the masks, their face told me they were talking, but the words were not even close to being there). I remember the funny looking lights that you only see on TV, and I remember them pointing to a different bed that I was suppose to move to. then laying my head on a bright orange jello looking dish, and then a mask being put over my face. After that, I remember hurting, being so very thirsty, having my jaw hurt, and wanting water or ice or something to sooth my sore throat.

I remember not being able to keep my eyes open, trying, but failing. Getting ice chips, falling back asleep, then… shortly after, telling my interpreter I was going to vomit, and actually doing it (thankfully I gave the nurses enough time to get me something to let it go into). At that time, I figured that being awake was too much work, so I fell back asleep. I remember waking up a few times, and seeing my interpreter sitting next to my bed, watching me and reading a book… but I couldn’t keep my eyes open. I remember the surgeon walking in telling me everything went well, but I couldn’t keep my eyes open long enough to ask him questions. Finally I was able to actually wake up, and I got transfered into a chair (it was hard work, but no dizzy happened), and I was able to go into the recovery room where I could see my family. I was told, although they had my interpreter scheduled for much longer than they though they would need, (until 5:30) that as soon as my family got there, she was going to have to leave, because I slept much longer then they expected.

I actually scared the doctors a little I think, because I slept for so long… but I am fine, better then fine. My family came to see me, and at the sight of them, I started crying… it was a good cry, I needed to cry, I needed to be held by people who loved me. and at that point, the interpreter left.

I wasn’t feeling too hot…

after food was put into my belly (some jello and thankfully some apple juice!!) I started actually feeling better, I could think, I could kinda read lips, but my handy dandy interpreter had left, the white board came back out. I was able to be told that the reason my jaw hurt was because the shape made it hard to put the breathing tube thing in, and that I coughed a bunch. My sister and my amazing love got me a very soft Rhino, whom I named Bob, and the wonderful post op nurse took him to have his own little surgery… so we could match.

Bob and I, he had surgery too

at that point, it was time for me to go home. they took the IV out, which hurt so very bad, I was given a pain pill, and then, they brought the wheel chair over. I got out of bed (on my own, and sat in the chair). The told me to be careful because I would be dizzy, little did they know, my vestibular system is now my friend… so it refused to get dizzy. They gave me some instructions, but I was not in the mood to read, I was not in the mood to read lips, I just wanted out of there. I knew there was something I was suppose to send off, I knew there was something I needed to do, I was sad I wouldn’t get to see the doctor again, but I was happy to be going home.

after talking with my sister and partner, I found out that things came out better than the surgeon hoped for!! all 22 electrodes were able to be inserted, and all 22 were happy, my neural response was much better than he expected from someone as deaf as I am. he said he expects me to have good results within 6 months!!! Very excited! If I like it, I may end up doing the second side.

One thing I really want is the Cochlear Koala, Kaci. He has a CI (or rather bilaterals)

Kaci the Koalas Back

anyways… here are some more pictures from my surgery adventure

This slideshow requires JavaScript.


5 thoughts on “My surgery story, a true adventure.

  1. I am so happy things went well for you and you have all the much needed support from family. Can’t wait to ‘hear’ about your new hearing adventures!

  2. This is a very beautiful story… this is really happening to you, You will hear better soon!

  3. Hope the CI helps you function a little more independently. My hubby still has to take an interpreter with him because he still can’t understand everyone with the CI. He says certain voices don’t really register very well (almost always male voices).

  4. Pingback: Tomorrows Plan « Adventures of a Deaf Adult

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s